Pages

Sunday 29 April 2012

Garden Update

This morning dawned grey and cold which was no surprise given the foul weather we've been having for the past few weeks.  We reckoned we had a maximum of two hours before it started raining again, so we rushed outside after breakfast and did a load of jobs.

We declared war on the slugs eating our courgette plants.  See what they've done?!


Get past this, you slimy beasties!



I put the broad beans out to harden off.  I hope they'll be okay!


And we planted the first earlies!  As readers know I have a bit of a thing about 'tates, which I put down to my Lincolnshire peasant ancestry (I should add that my Mum is from Nottinghamshire.  I get my style from her).  I have been twitching with frustration ever since the Easter weekend and fretting that I haven't got my first earlies in, but now, much to my relief 'tis done!  Even though I'm pretty certain that if I'd pulled my trousers down and sat on the soil it would have been cold (my Dad told me that's how you know it's time to plant your 'tates out, which caused me to laugh immoderately). 

We've got two rows and a bag of Arran Pilot, courtesy of the wonder that is Wilko's.





We've also got King Edwards and Maris Piper chitting in the pantry (Tesco's finest).


I also planted my sweat peas out - I hope the poor little things don't get too battered.



Finally, I cleared the narcissus and miniature iris bulbs from the pot by the front door.  They've been beautiful this year and it seemed such a waste to throw them away, so I planted them near buddleia to give a bit of colour next Spring.  Just there (for when I forget!):


1 comment:

  1. I'll be interested to read how the copper rings fare against the slugs! I've been like you lately too, dashing out in between downpours to try and get some gardening done, hopefully it'll brighten up for us soon, although I do have to admit, I quite like the rain! :)

    ReplyDelete