Pages

Thursday 5 April 2012

Sticky Slices

It has felt like a long week this week, waiting for the Easter Bank Holiday weekend, so when I got home this evening I knew that some serious pottering had to be done.  While Alastair went in the bath, and while my tea cooked, I got on with some rather more frivolous cooking. 


I had decided that, instead of an Easter Egg, I would make the most gooey, decadent chocolate treat imaginable and eat it over the long weekend.  I am hoping to do some serious work in the garden, and am planning frequent treat-breaks as little rewards / nuggets of sustenance.

I used a recipe whose origins are uncertain, but the typeface and design make me think that it was cut out of - ahem - OK Magazine some years ago.  I made some tweaks though.  This is what I did.

First of all, I poured a glass of perfectly chilled chardonnay.  Mmmm!  While savouring that, I measured butter and golden syrup into a saucepan, and put it to melt over a very low heat.


Then I half-filled a larger pan with water and heated it so that it was barely simmering, just hot enough to melt the bowlful of chocolate balanced over the top.



Then I measured out digestive biscuits and hazelnuts...


...and mixed a beaten egg into the melted chocolate.  Then I poured the butter and golden syrup mixture into the chocolate mixture, and mixed it all together...


...before adding the digestive biscuits and the hazelnuts. 


Another good mix...


...and it went into a loaf tin to cool in the fridge overnight.  All ready for a day of gardening tomorrow (weather permitting!).


And then, as the evening light itself turned syrupy and golden, I savoured the last of my chardonnay and gave a sigh of pleasure - thank goodness for Bank Holiday weekends!



Sticky Slice Update

The sticky slices are VERY sticky.  In fact they're so sticky they have to be eaten with a spoon!  This is the result of a moment of chardonnay-related distraction while measuring out the golden syrup, but I don't mind, they taste delicious!



2 comments:

  1. They look GORGEOUS. And I love the expression "nuggets of sustenance"! Your step-by-step instructions with photos are great and much appreciated - they make the prospect of whipping up my own batch of sticky slices all the easier! Enjoy the bank holiday weekend, dear friend! Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are indeed gorgeous, I have just had one with a cup of coffee after my morning gardening session. Do you know what I did with them after trying them yesterday (Alastair's idea)? I froze them! This has reduced the stickyness but, strangely, not made them too cold.

    Anyway, hope you enjoy yours, and watch the chardonnay as you cook, it tries to distract you!

    ReplyDelete