Pages

Sunday 10 June 2012

Sunday Lunch Part 3

The denoument!  I was exceedingly pleased with how everything turned out, and while I wouldn't normally serve two pastry-based dishes in one meal it wasn't too heavy because it was puff rather than shortcrust pastry.

The chicken pie came out of the oven looking delicious...


...and I am pleased to report that it tasted delicious too.  There are so many delicious flavours in this dish that it's just a taste sensation.  It's also a fantastic way of stretching one chicken breast over four meals (we exercised serious restraint and only had one portion each so we can have it tomorrow as well).


Do excuse the fact that this photo is not particularly aesthetically pleasing - I was hungry!

And as for my rhubarb strudel - invented by me, not from a recipe - it was amazing!  Cut in half, put in a nice white dish and sprinkled with icing sugar it even looked rather nice.


As for the taste...I will say it again (and without a shred of modesty) - amazing!  I am so pleased with myself.  The pastry was light and crispy, the rhubarb was sweet and delicious, and the ginger was warm and deep and gave the whole dessert an extra dimension. 

Served with creme fraiche and the liquid I'd been left with when I sieved the rhubarb earlier, it was perfect.


And we even got to work off all that pastry in the garden after lunch - we spent two hours breaking up grassy clods in the new veg bed - it was cold, messy and unpleasant so it was a good job we'd been well fed!

4 comments:

  1. RHUBARB STRUDEL!!

    The very idea is utterly tantalising!

    I am sure it was GORGEOUS.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Apple strudel currently in the oven here (packet, not home-made). I am quite sure it will not be as nice as yours!

      Delete
  2. Again this all looks delicious! Do you have the recipes please? My boys would particularly enjoy the pie! :-) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My darlings...you are so lovely and encouraging, and I love the fact that you read and comment on my blog. Fi, the chicken pie is in The Book (whose author is not paying me, honest), I'll photocopy it for you. I made the rhubarb strudel up - I'll amend the Sunday Lunch Part 2 post with a rough recipe. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete