Pages

Wednesday 6 June 2012

King Rhubarb's Second Crop

King Rhubarb was harvested for the second time this year on Monday. 


On Tuesday, a Rhubarb and Ginger Upside Down Cake was made - recipe from my favourite book (I am not on commission, honest).

I oiled my cake-tin and lined it with greaseproof paper...


...then sprinkled soft brown sugar all over the base, followed by rhubarb and chopped ginger.



Then, because I was feeling lazy, I whipped up the cake mix in my trusty Kenwood.


The cake mix went on top of the rhubarb...


...and the whole lot went in the oven.  When it came out it looked perfect...


...and the knife test revealed that it was, indeed, done.

I have agonised over the knife test many a time, so in case you have too, here's what it looks like when your cake is done.



Finally it was time to turn the Upside Down Cake upside down.


It was a thing of greeny-pinky, home-grown beauty.

We had it hot, with fresh whipped cream at tea-time, and it was absolutely delicious (although I do have to say that if I'd beaten and folded by hand like the book told me to rather than mixing everything up in the Kenwood it would have risen a little bit more).


1 comment:

  1. That cake is truly a Thing of Beauty! I'm so impressed - well done my darling! Thank you for the step-by-step account and the knife-test pictures - so helpful, and I aim to make this cake for my rhubarb-loving father. Yum! xxx

    ReplyDelete