Pages

Saturday 2 June 2012

Jam Upside Down

Last Saturday Alastair and I went for an amazing walk.  The following day, we felt that we'd earnt a serious pudding.  Although not an obvious choice for when the temperature is in double figures, I cooked a Jam Upside Down while Alastair put in a couple of rows of 'tates.  And we thoroughly enjoyed it!  Steamed puddings are a lovely, old-fashioned treat, and as easy as anything, needing only time to steam.  If you're going to be in anyway they're no trouble, and a real show-stopper when you bring them to the table.

I greased a pudding dish and lined it with greaseproof paper. 


Then I creamed together butter and sugar in my trusty Kenwood and, because I was feeling lazy, used it to mix in the eggs and flour.  A few generous spoonfuls of jam went into the bottom of the pudding dish...


...followed by the sponge mixture.  Then I folded a pleat into a rectagle of greaseproof paper...


...did the same with a rectangle of tin-foil, and used them to cover the pudding dish.  I tied it on with string, and used another piece of string to make a little handle.


The pudding dish went into a large saucepan filled with water which came about three-quarters of the way up the sides of the pudding dish.


The pudding steamed for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until it was firm and spongy to the touch.


Then I put a serving dish on top of the pudding dish...


...and turned the lot upside down.


Then - and this is a good tip - I let it sit for five minutes.

When I turned the pudding out, it was a thing of wonder.



Steamed puddings are different in texture from cakes - more foamy and open, and they need to be served with lots of liquid otherwise they can be a bit dry.  Sweet, delicious home-made custard - as made by my husband - is perfect.  Try it and you'll never use Bird's again!


No comments:

Post a Comment