Pages

Thursday 9 August 2012

Bye Bye Beans, Hello Peas!

It's been a rare warm, sunny evening here in Durham. 


I cycled home, put my tea on and then pottered in the garden for a good 45 minutes.  I felt such peace and happiness, and so very lucky. 


I was also rather excited...my peas have grown!  I am sure that the rest of the country has already well and truly had its pea harvest, but up here in the frozen North - and, to be fair, a shady patch of my garden - my peas have suddenly come to life.  Having given up on them I happened to notice them out of the corner of my eye the other day, and on lifting one up discovered it was actually about six inches high!  I've just staked them up, and I noticed that there's a flower on one of them.



I also pulled my broad beans up, having picked the last pods.  


I've never grown broad beans before, but I will definitely grow them again.  They've been absolutely brilliant, needed absolutely no looking after whatsoever apart from staking up, and have produced a goodly haul of delicious, tender, pale-green beans (the last of which I ate for my tea!).

No comments:

Post a Comment