Pages

Saturday 3 March 2012

What do gardeners do when it's grey and drizzly?

Real gardeners, I am sure, go outside and garden, but this one is making a date and walnut cake with maple syrup icing.  Next on my list of things to cook is a vat of leek and potato soup for the week ahead - many reduced leeks to be found in Tesco yesterday evening - and then I promised I would make spaghetti alla carbonara for Alastair's lunch, with smoked salmon instead of bacon as he is in a vegetarian (pescetarian?) phase at the moment.  
Another thing that this gardener does when it's grey and drizzly (and an awful lot when it's not) is play on her computer.  I have recently become an avid follower of a number of blogs.  Two of them are written by friends of mine, the two Fionas.  If you met said Fionas you would know why I have decided that the collective noun for a gathering of Fionas is "a lovliness".  I read Fi B's blog for the first time this morning and I was really impressed by its thoughtfullness and spirituality (it also caused me to wonder how to spell "thoughtfullness" but that's a whole different story!).   Fi B's blog is very spiritual, as is Fi M's - in a very ordinary, humble, day-to-day way - and it made me think about my version of spirituality (the Fionas are Christian, I am not).  Well, technically I am as I was christened into the Church of England but I am have been an atheist through and through since I was about eight so have well and truly left the fold.  In fact, if there were a God I think I would choose not to believe in him (the Tory party exists - unfortunately - and I don't have to believe in them). 

 Anyway, being a sufferer of depression, I tend to be pretty self-obsessed.  I try to hide this fact as much as I can from the general public, but really the vast majority of my thoughts centre around how I'm feeling at any particular moment.  In my defence, I think most people's would if they suffered from depression.  Anyway, today I am feeling good.  I have been suffering since going back to work after Christmas (and not only from going back to work after Christmas) and had to increase my medication.  That gave me terrible insomnia and my medication had to be changed and I had to go on a "sleep hygeine" programme.  This involves, amongst other things, going to bed at around the same time and getting up at the same time every day, so today I have been up since 7.30am.  I am really enjoying the novelty today.  Having endless hours to kill when you feel like you're wrapped in a nasty, grey ball of cotton wool which is suffocating the inside of your brain isn't nice, but when you feel good, it feels good.  Going back to spirituality though, one of the things about depression that makes any kind of spirituality difficult is the terrible inwardness.  One of Fi M's spiritual posts recently was about thankfulness, and how being thankful for at least one thing every day makes you a better person.  So, today I am thankful for feeling good (told you I was self-obsessed), and I am thankful for what has, so far, been a lovely "pottering about" baking, cooking, thinking, spending time at home, taking it easy day.  I'm also thankful for a respite where my thoughts can turn outwards instead of inwards...I'll tell you where my thoughts go when they're directed outwards another time. 

3 comments:

  1. I love you dearest Liz, and it has been wonderful to be given a deeper insight into you by reading this. Sending lots of love and hope we can talk soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My darling, I have just seen this post, had missed it before...Love you loads and loads xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the lovely comments...love you both too xxx

    ReplyDelete