Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

A Morning off Work - Part 1

I was away at the weekend - having a wonderful time in Nottinghamshire (and bits of Lincolnshire!) with Mum, Dad and Jules - and I booked this morning off work so I could get some pottering done before starting the weekly grind. 

It was brilliant doing the rounds this morning, firstly as it's a glorious sunny day and secondly as so much has changed in the garden just in a few days.  Noticing the tiny changes in twig, bud and leaf as Nature performs its miracles in miniature before your very eyes is one of the most wonderful things that anyone can do.  I was about to say "and it's entirely free", but then I thought again - it doesn't cost anything in monetary terms, but we all have a price to pay if we're not going to ruin this amazing world of ours.  Supporting charities that campaign against the destruction of natural habitats and the animals and plants that live in them, like the World Wildlife Fund is something that I do, as well as adding my voice to the petitions that the amazing people at 38 degrees organise.  I also try to do a number of smaller, day to day things like recycling, switching off the lights when I go out of the room, eating fresh, local, seasonal food as well as growing my own, and just generally loving and respecting Nature and the countryside I love. 

Anyway, I noticed many pleasing things this morning.  In the back garden my divided geraniums are sitting up and looking perky, which I'm *very* pleased with, and my philadelphus is breaking out into leaf.  At least I think it's a philadelphus, I could swear it started life as a cutting from Mum and Dad's garden where there is the most amazing and prolific philadelphus, but Mum denies all knowledge and the flowers do look a bit different...if there are any flowers, it's a bit temperamental and did not at all like my inexpert attempts at pruning a couple of years ago.  I plan to give it a bit of a trim after it finishes flowering (or not) this summer.  I am, however, sad to report that Clematis Seboldeii is, I am pretty convinced, an ex-clematis.  Fortunately I have found the most wonderful website, http://www.clematischoice.co.uk/shop/, where I can buy a replacement.

In the front garden, the crocuses around the base of the apple trees are looking so pretty.  I love crocuses. 





Some pretty orange tulips are out, the miniature daffodils are also looking pretty, and the hyacinths are bravely struggling out (I think I planted the poor things way, way too deep!).




On the edible side, King Rhubarb is well through, the gooseberry bush is in leaf, the blueberries are budding up a storm and, very excitngly, the broad beans Dad sowed for me, and which have been living in the splendid cold-frame that Alastair built, have sprouted. 


King Rhubarb is such a splendid creature that I feel sure you will meet him again in his very own post.  Gooseberry will probably also feature, as he needs a prune.  He's never done very well, the year before last he had a grand total of one gooseberry on him, and this year he had none.  I'm going to see if a good prune does any good.


The splendour of the cold-frame is such that I promised Alastair it would have its own post.  In the meantime, here's a photo.


Inside, my cauliflower seeds have germinated.  I will have to find out what to do with them next!


The front garden is going to be my Easter project.  Hopefully you will soon see some photos of it looking much tidier!

1 comment:

  1. SUCH gorgeous flowers dearest Liz! I too adore crocuses. They're one of the ultimate signs that Spring is here, aren't they. So pretty. Thanks so much for sharing! xxx

    ReplyDelete