Pages

Thursday 29 March 2012

Smoked Salmon and Herb Frittata

Is that how you spell frittata?!  Never mind...I was extremely grumpy when I came home from work tonight.  This was a) because I'd spent an unnaturally long time there yesterday and was tired and b) because I was HUNGRY.  I needed something fast, tasty and healthy for my tea.  As Alastair had bought a tray of lovely free-range eggs from a farm at the weekend and we still have a surplus, my mind turned to frittata.  Necessity being the mother of invention, I liberated some smoked salmon from the fridge, popped outside and picked some chives and some parsley from the herb-pots outside, and went to work.

I beat four eggs, as my pan is about 20cms across, seasoned with sea-salt and pepper and then snipped the herbs into the mix.  I melted a mixture of oil and butter in a cast-iron frying pan, and when it was sizzling, snipped the smoked salmon in using scissors which I find easier than chopping, scooping up, getting the hands fishy when transferring to the pan and then having to wash the hands.  Then I poured the egg mixture in and left it for a few minutes.  Alastair is the fying-pan master in our house (it is big enough and impressive enough to qualify as a GADGET, and therefore to come into his domain) so he watched it carefully and, when he decreed the bottom of the frittata to be cooked, popped it into the oven on a high heat and a high shelf (it should have been the grill, but you know about the grill issues in our house).  When the top was cooked, it was ready to eat.


Served with rocket, tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and bread and butter, it was delicious.


And for pudding...goodness me, for pudding there was something so wonderful that words fail me.  Salted caramel and peanut butter ice-cream, made by my wonderful husband.  All I can say is, make it.  And then eat it.  You will not regret it.  Mmmm....*groans*.

No comments:

Post a Comment