Pages

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Eek!

Have just gone onto the wonderful BBC gardening website to find out what to do with my cauliflower seedlings (I am meant to be doing my household accounts but I'm sorry, the lure of the virtual garden is just too great).  I suspected they would need thinning, and am most pleased to find out that I am correct. 

However, eek!  It says "most brassicas are relatively easy to grow; however, unless you're an experienced gardener, cauliflowers are best avoided.".  Apparently they are prone to club root, a dreadful thing by all accounts, and if you grow them you must be very careful to rotate your crops afterwards.  Well, evil cauliflowers, who'd have thought it?! 

Off now to thin out my tray full of potential doom, to precisely 7.5cm between each plant in accordance with the instructions on the website...I shall keep you posted as to any signs that they are turning to the dark side!

No comments:

Post a Comment