Pages

Sunday 26 May 2013

Maintenance Week Erm...

...sixteen I think!  I've got a bit behind with  blogging, hence the sudden rash of catch-up posts.  So what I have got to report from the world of eating and exercising?  Not much to report as far as weighing-in goes.  8st 11lbs since my last post, which is great.  BMI has been around 21, body fat percentage has varied between 19.5% and 28.7% (!). 

Exercising has fallen into a nice pattern, cycling to work every day, using one or more rides for interval training, strength training once a week and running once a week.  I'm really loving my strength training and feeling really fit and strong.  I'm noticing a change in the way I look and feel too.  My tummy still has a little insulating layer (necessary in the cold North-East!) but underneath is hard muscle - the first time I poked myself and felt it I didn't realise what it was for a minute!  I also think that in certain lights and with a following wind I'm getting a bit of a six pack.  You may have to wait some time for a photo of me in a bikini though, given the fact that my summer holiday this year is going to be in Wales. 

Running...running is exciting at the moment!  I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I've become a runner, and it's so exciting!  I used to run a bit, and ran the Race for Life every year for six years, but then I put a load of weight back on, and got "promoted" to a job I hated and was just exhausted and miserable most of the time, and I also had a lot of knee issues so I really thought my running days were over.  But then I lost two stone, and one sunny Winter's day I fancied going out for a bit of a run, and ran/walked about a mile and a half followed by a hot shower, a cup of frothy coffee, half a banana and a chocolate biscuit which were just the most wonderful things ever.  So I went out again the next week...and again...and again...and then I started to get twitchy if I hadn't run for more then a week...and then I started talking about running at every opportunity to my friend Nikki (who's also been bitten by the bug.)...and then I started reading Women's Running...and then I signed up for the Women's Running 10k in Nottingham in July...and then yesterday I went out and ran 10k! 


It's the furthest I've ever run and it feels amazing!  I keep remembering and grinning to myself...it was a good run too.  65 minutes, at an average pace of 10mins 35secs per mile (I'd tell you my splits but that might be TMI for non-runners!).  The best thing of all was that, although I was glad to finish (but at the same time immediately regretful it was over...wierd lot runners!), I didn't feel totally exhausted and unable to carry on...in fact I'm already wondering what my next distance target is going to be!  Although for the moment it's back to the 10k training plan to work on speed, as I'm hoping to run the race in under an hour.  Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment