Pages

Monday 28 January 2013

Looking Back to Spring Planting

Way back in October, on a gorgeous sunny day, I planted my Spring bulbs.


I was very excited, as I had a new tool which made it much easier.


All you have to do is stick it in the ground, to the depth required by whatever bulb you're planting, as above, then lift it out.


Then you pop the bulb in the hole you've just made...


...and release the earth from your tool (I don't know what it's called!) by squeezing the sides of the handle together.


Simple...until you cut one of your bulbs in half by plunging your tool into a piece of earth with a bulb already in it.  I solved this problem by drawing a circle, marking the place where I put my first bulb, then working around the circle...clever, me!


I have to digress here and say that I was thrilled to bits, when planting my Sprng bulbs, to note that my Colour-magic Geraniums, my Salvia and my Nicotiana, which I'd grown from seed over the Summer and then planted out, were all alive and well (albeit nibbled by slugs, in the case of the Nicotiana).




I hope they survive the Winter...and speaking of which, guess what I saw yesterday?  Snow receeding and bulbs poking their little heads out of the frozen earth...it did my heart good.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me excited to start growing! I can't wait for spring to get out in the garden again :)

    ReplyDelete