Pages

Sunday 2 December 2012

Pork, Pepper and Olive Pasta Sauce

While I was compiling my garden summary posts I amassed a huge number of other posts that never got written...this is one of them.  It was an Autumn recipe, but would actually be nice at any time of the year. 
 
I don't tend to follow recipes much when cooking at home these days.  I tend to buy what's on special offer/reduced in the supermarket and use that as a basis for my meals for the week.  The inspiration for this recipe was a nice piece of Tesco finest pork fillet.
 
Pork, Pepper and Olive Pasta Sauce
 
  1. Fry an onion in two teaspoons of olive oil (use more if you wish, this is a Weight Watchers recipe!), soften for a while
  2. Add two peppers, whatever colour you like, chopped into strips.  I think I used red and yellow.  Again soften for a while.
  3. Add a punnet of mushrooms, sliced, soften (put the casserole lid on to create some moisture to help them soften down).  
  4. Add the pork, diced, fry until browned all over.
  5. Add a tin of tomatoes, a tablespoon of tomato puree and about 3/4 of a pint of stock (I used chicken).
  6. Add about half a jar of black olives. 
  7. Simmer for half an hour to 45 minutes (I like to boil my stews to death).
This makes four portions (if you are Weight Watching), each of which has 4 points.  I served it stirred into wholewheat pasta on a bed of rocket and it was delicious.  Even better frozen, thawed and then re-heated.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment