Pages

Thursday 11 April 2013

BBC Food Recipe Review: Pot au Feu

I wasn't planning this recipe, it just kind of happened.  I'd been planning a chicken casserole, but when we got to Tesco there were only whole chickens left.  I could have roasted the chicken we bought, but somewhere in the back of my mind was the germ of an idea.  I did a quick google search and found this recipe.  Surprise surprise, it was a BBC one (although from the BBC Food website not the BBC Good Food website - does anyone else find this confusing?!).

The recipe was as easy as anything to make. 


I didn't have any bacon or sausages, or peppers so I just popped my whole chicken into the pot, chucked in some chopped leeks, carrots, swedes, potatoes and pearl barley, along with loads of seasoning and a couple of bay leaves, and enough cold water to cover everything.



I decided not to use the stock cube, and was glad I didn't as there was plenty enough flavour in the meat and vegetables.  Finally I put the pot in the oven for two and a half hours (I always boil my stews to death!), adding the shredded cabbage at the two hour mark. 

And...it was absolutely amazing!  And SO economical.  The meat was really tender and juicy, and just fell off the bone - there was so much of it!  It made five meals I think, one for Alastair then and there and four for the freezer.


There was also a huge amount of stock, which made a giant and very flavoursome vegetable and pearl barley soup (you'll need a freezer if you do this, otherwise you'll eat nothing but chicken and veg for a week and get very sick of them!). 


Serious hearty and wholesome economy cooking - love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment