Pages

Saturday 31 August 2013

Food and Exercise Round-up (Week 30)

The Stats

Weight:  8st 10lbs
B.M.I.  21.5
Body Fat %:  29.5

Well, humph.  I used to go to Weight Watchers meetings, and at one meeting the leader had a block of lard with her, and to anyone who was fed up they'd only lost a pound that week she pointed to the block of lard and said "you've just lost that".  Ever since then, I've felt distinctly squeamish about putting weight on, because I imagine a block of lard distributed about my person.  So, I was hoping that as I'd been detoxing this week after last week's chocolate/cake/ice-cream/wine-fest I'd have lost the pound I put on as a result.    No such luck, AND body fat percentage was up, although you can never really tell with that.  It was a distinctly "well, humph" week in other ways too, so I was quite downcast and sulked somewhat.

Exercise

Continuing with the "well, humph" theme of the week, I decided to go for a run on Thursday lunch time rather than going to circuit training, as I was feeling anti-social.  And THIS happened!!!



It has occurred to me, looking through my runs on Runkeeper, that I appear to be getting slower the more running I do, which I'm pretty sure isn't meant to happen.  So I thought that I would knock out a quick 5k in under 30 minutes just to prove that I could (I don't *do* fast, 10 minute miles are fast for me!).  Well, humph.  Crashed and burned!  Started too fast and really struggled in the last mile.  I do have a theory that the GPS on Runkeeper stopped working at one stage, I was so knackered I was running looking at the distance to keep me going and I swear it said 2.94 for a reeeaally long time.  It was under some trees too...maybe I lost GPS?!  Although it is rather suspicious that that's never happened before!  Whatever, I was pretty downcast when I finished, but after a while the post-run endorphins kicked in and I felt so much better for having done a run.  It is indeed true that a crap run is better than no run, and I was really pleased with myself for not giving up even though I really really wanted to, right from about the third minute into the run.  Also, it was so hellish that it had to count as a serious threshold run, and they're hardcore (smirk).

I was a bit concerned though, that whatever I've done to my left thigh flared up after mile 2.  Knees weren't too bad, just as normal, and ankle was okay, although that's stiff every morning when I wake up which is a bit of a worry.  I'm taking myself to the physio on Monday to get everything checked out and to see if he thinks I'm up to starting half-marathon training.  I'm desperate to get running so hope he give me the all-clear.

I'm still doing my DIY circuits, and in one exception to the general tenor of the week I did an absolutely lush session on Tuesday.  I've been craving stretchiness lately, so I only did a few different exercises, but all of them very slowly and deliberately and concentrating on form.  And I made it HURT (in a good way of course, did each exercise to the point of form breaking down, which I read somewhere is how you know you've pushed yourself enough).  I did what I think of as a "top to toe" session: warm-up, squats held for 1 minute x 3, 60 glute bridges, plank held for 1 minute x 3, left side plank held for 1 minute x 3, right side plank held for 1 minute x 3, 30 crunches, 30 oblique crunches, 30 aleknas, 30 close-arm push-ups, 30 open arm push-ups (I don't know if these are the right names...just what I call them!), cool down and stretching.  I was sweating and euphoric afterwards!

Food

Nothing of note except an awful lot of virtuousness...I'm saving myself up for my holidays (two weeks and counting!).

No comments:

Post a Comment