Pages

Saturday 18 February 2012

On 'Tates

The most exciting thing we grew in the garden last year, by quite some way, were the 'tates. 

To digress slightly, the cosmos were pretty exciting too, as I got a packet free with Gardens Illustrated and sprinkled them on a patch of earth in the garden, never thinking that they would grow (I seem to have an inability to accept the facts the seeds I plant do, actually, grow), and they were beautiful.  I don't think I've got a photo of mine, but this is what they looked like. 



Next spring I'm going to sow loads of seeds and hopefully grow beautiful clouds of them.

Anyway, back to the 'tates.  I like to think that I found them exciting because I come from a long line of Lincolnshire farm labourers.  Having lain dormant for 35 years, the hereditary compulsion to grow 'tates awoke last spring and could not be denied.

I was actually very surprised that they grew, as it was late in the spring and almost past the time for planting 'tates (I leave most things 'til the last minute where the garden is concerned).  A ferret in a Sainsbury's Homebase bargain bin had yielded some reduced and very well-chitted seed 'tates for the princely sum of 50p and that weekend I dug and planted three rows. 

Alastair kept them earthed up, and we had a fantastic yield.  Two big sacks, and they tasted fantastic.




1 comment:

  1. I am SO impressed my dear! Potatoes are one of those things that I always think would just never grow if I tried them! They look gorgeous. Well done - I am in awe xxx

    ReplyDelete