Pages

Saturday 8 February 2014

Food and Exercise Round-up (weeks 49 and 50)

The Stats

Wednesday 22nd January

Weight:  8st 8lbs
BMI:  20.5
BFP:  23.5%

Wednesday 29th January

Weight:  8st 11lbs
BMI:  21.0
BFP:  25.1%

The Food

I was briefly very pleased with myself for getting back to my pre-Christmas weight and BFP, but then it all went a bit wrong.  Some dodgy pork and some seriously bad pre- and post-long run fuelling led to an upset stomach followed by feeling better and eating *everything* which in turn led to some weight gain.  Never mind, next week is another week...!

The Exercise

If things were a bit dodgy on the food front, the exercise front was much better over the two weeks.  As usual I cycled, ran, Cross Fitted and walked.  Thanks to some conveniently-timed strike action I got a long run in on 23rd January.  I ran from work to Finchale Abbey.


And on the way back things started to go a bit wrong...my return was plagued by the dreaded *bathroom issues* but I managed 11.28 miles in 2 hours.







And then I ate a cream scone, which was just silly and which I heartily regretted not very much later!  It was very nice at the time though (date and walnut - yum!).


Alastair and I did a little "porly walk" on Saturday, and by the start of the next week I was back on top form.  So much so that - in another conveniently timed strike on the Tuesday - I ran a half-marathon!!!


I set off having not eaten a thing since a modest breakfast loaded up with Garmin, phone, belt-pouch-thing containing Shot Bloks and a sensible post-run snack.  I reprised my Finchale Abbey run with a couple of extra loops (including a very hilly pull up to Newton Hall - that's why the first few miles are so slow).  Right up until about mile 10 I wasn't sure I was going to make it to 13.1, but I surprised myself by not only doing so in a really good time but going into real overdrive in the last mile (hopped up on Shot Bloks I think).  Look at that average time!


Not fast by any stretch of the imagination I know, but fast for me and that's what counts.





I celebrated with pepperoni pizza and red wine for my tea that night (once I was sure that everything was in order following the run!) and it was delicious.  Then the next day I weighed in and found out that I'd put on 3lbs since my last weigh in.  How can you put on 3lbs in the week you've run a half-marathon...life is not fair (and no, it wasn't muscle alas)!

No comments:

Post a Comment