Pages

Saturday 21 July 2012

Sunshine, Flowers and Family Memories

Philadelphus, given to me by Mum and Dad...




Clematis, given to me by Mum and Dad...


Little Pink Geranium, aka "Uncle Harry Plant"...


..given to me by Mum and Dad!  Uncle Harry Plant is so named because the original clump - of which mine is a descendant - was given to Mum and Dad by Mum's Uncle Harry, my Great-Uncle Harry.  Great-Uncle Harry went over the top on the first day on the Somme on 1st July 1916, 96 years ago, got shot in the thigh, lay out all night and got taken back to Britain the next morning (historical detail unchecked, have I got it right Mum and Dad?!).  I don't remember him, but I know that he went on to live to a cantankerous old age and is famous in the family for the saying "it's too bloody daft to laugh at".  Notably, on being told that Britain had joined the Common Market in 1973, he utilised this phrase, adding that he didn't want anything to do with "those bloody Germans - they shot at me". 

I think it's proper name is cranesbill, but I like Uncle Harry Plant.  Feeling connected to your family through shared family memories is special.

Addenda from Dad

"Uncle Harry" plants growing in front of graves in Blighty Valley cemetery where lie many of his comrades from the Sherwood Foresters who went over on the first day of the Somme, July 1st 1916.

Photo taken on the morning of  28th June, 2012.
27th June, 1916 - night:  "From the trenches at Bouzincourt, the battalion took up the final position of assembly in Glasgow Street.  Heavy rain for 24 hours.  The battalion again in readiness and in the appointed place for the second time on the night of 30th June...."
Uncle Harry was your great-great Uncle...Mother's Great Uncle...Grandma and Dorothy's Uncle Harry.  Wounded below the knee...exit wound in thigh.  Wounded on the 1st, left France on the 5th, back in England on the 6th July.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous post and lovely memories. I love the quote!! xxx

    ReplyDelete