Pages

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Baking with a Beautiful View

Saturday 26th May

I am very lucky in that, when I bake, I have something beautiful to look at.  Today, actually, I had two beautiful things - one was a bunch of flowers bought very cheaply from the supermarket, which have been delighting me every time I look at them for two weeks now.


The other was the view out of my little kitchen window which is absolutely spectacular at the moment.  There are cherry and hawthorne trees behind Yvonne and Tom's gardens and the hawthornes are absolutely foaming with blossom.  In the bright May sunshine they are stunning.


I broke off my Bakewell tart-making activities this morning to make a little something for lunch - home-made leek and lentil soup (which usually has chorizo in it, but I didn't have any) with Sweet Potato and Rosemary Rolls from my favourite book.  The rolls were very easy to make, and if they taste as good as they look I will be very happy.

I grated my sweet potato...


...measured out my dry goods...


...mixed them all together, made a well and added the buttermilk...


...then mixed everything together to make a dough.


Then I kneaded the dough and rolled it into a ball...


...and cut it into eight roughly equal pieces.


Each piece got rolled into a ball, and had a cross cut into the top of it with a sharp knife.


They all got baked for 25 minutes...


...and came out looking gorgeous.


I am pleased to report that they tasted as good as they looked - moist, light, flavoursome and perfect with soup!


No comments:

Post a Comment